Saturday, March 05, 2011

Dear Lucy


Oh Lucy Loo! I'm so unbelievably sad writing this because I should have done it before now but it is SO hard saying goodbye to you and writing this means that I've accepted that you are indeed gone. That sentence BREAKS my heart!!!
There has never been a dog as loving as you! You have put up with so much in your life. We have had so many friends that you have tried to "show the way" with your amazing sense of manners and obedience.
Shall I name them all? Yes, I should! Because while your daddy was away playing hockey, you spent many days teaching Malinko, Sage, Dakota, and countless others how to behave in our home. Lead by example is what you have always done.
There are so many funny and happy memories that I have of you in our life. First in my mind is the look you had for an ill-trained St. Bernard who took a huge dump on your living room floor. I will never forget the look you gave him and your exit from the room, as if to say HOW STUPID could you be!!! Then the ONLY time you were ever in a fight when you stood up for your two girlfriends Kaya and Abby when they were getting harassed by a dog. I had never seen you in that light and of course I realized you were just being the family girl that you were. You would have done that for any of us!
You solely taught Mick and I how to be parents. How to be responsible for someone other than ourselves. I will never forget the time you pooped in your daddy's hands because you waited as long as you possibly could! Sometimes hockey games were more than you could last as a little pup!
As our family grew and there were little boys around, you epitomized the phrase "go with the flow". How could there be a dog that would let little boys crawl all over them and not even bare teeth or look at them sideways? Not to mention the back seat that you took during those early days. That was you sweet Lucy! It was as if you always knew your place and the role you would play in our family.
Our conversations in your last days will always be with me! I will never forget your permission to let me have you in my house even though I think you wanted to run away and not let me see you suffer. I'm SO sorry I was so selfish to keep you here so long when you felt so bad!!! I hope you will forgive me and understand. You were my first baby, our first baby. You taught us so much!!!!!
I swell up with tears whenever I get near your grave. I love you so much! I miss you SO much! Every time I drive up in the driveway I still expect to see you and it is always so hard when I have to grieve you each and every day.
The biggest hope that I have is that the good word says that our animals will be with us and I can't wait to see you again. I know you are romping around with Malinko and Molly and hoping that you don't see us sooner than need be, but that it will not be too long.
You were THE best dog I have ever met! I never knew how hard it would be to let you go but please know how much I love you and the time we had together!
I love you big mama!!! There will NEVER be another like you!!!

3 comments:

KM said...

Lucy was the BEST! I know exactly how you feel :(
after all these years, it still hurts and I still look for Blue in the yard or think I hear him coming up the hallway.

p.s. i was a bit worried at the St. Bernard memory but then i remembered it was THAT one and not ours! ill-trained indeed. Just like the owner.

Sarah said...

This made me cry. You have a way with words, describing your love.

Anonymous said...

She is waiting for you...

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend
By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.


Pavy